Clafouti aux Cerises – Cherry Clafouti

June 24th, 2009 § 9 comments

Clafouti is clafouti. It’s not a cake, though it’s made from a batter. It’s not a custard, though it’s a bit creamy. It’s not a soufflé, though it puffs up during baking. It is what it is. And when it’s good it’s delicious.

It is also incredibly easy to put together.

Though traditionally made with cherries, clafouti can be made with many different fruits: Rhubarb and strawberries, raspberries, peaches, plums, pears. Purists will tell you that the cherries should be left unpitted, because the noyau release a lovely almond flavor into the batter. This may be true, but I don’t want visit the dentist any more often than I already do.

As tempting as this will look coming out of the oven, it actually tastes better after it has cooled and settled. It you’d like to eat it warm (and I know I would), rewarm it in the oven before serving. Cut into wedges and serve with a dollop of crème frâiche. It’s also good for breakfast.

More than one French person has told me that this is the best clafouti they’ve ever eaten. As much as I’d like to take all the credit, this recipe comes from my good friend Heather Miller.

Cherry Clafouti

1/2 c all purpose flour

1 c powdered sugar

pinch salt

2 whole eggs (large, not extra large)

2 egg yolks (again, from large eggs)

1 1/4 c milk

1/2 t vanilla extract

3/4 c crème frâiche

butter for the baking dish

about 2 c cherries (or other fruit)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9″ or 10″ quiche dish.

2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, powdered sugar and salt and whisk or sift so there are no lumps.

3. In a different bowl, lightly beat the eggs and then whisk in the milk and vanilla.

4. Pour a little of the liquid into the dry mix and whisk to create a slurry before adding the rest of the liquid. This will help prevent lumps.

5. Stir the crème frâiche to smooth it out and then add to the batter. Pour the batter through a fine mesh strainer to remove any stray lumps.

6. Scatter the fruit evenly in the prepared dish and pour the batter over the fruit. It should fill the dish about 2/3 of the way. You may have a little extra batter.

7. Bake the clafouti 40-50 minutes, until well-puffed, golden, and set in the middle.

8. Let cool before serving. Serve at room temperature or rewarm it in a low oven. Store any leftovers in the fridge.

serves 6-8

Notes: The clafouti can be baked in individual ramekins, but keep in mind that the baking time will be shorter. This is lovely with a mixture of berries, or a berry-peach combination. If you use peaches or some other stone fruit, cut the fruit into 1″ pieces. Strawberry-rhubarb is wonderful here, but I recommend poaching the rhubarb in syrup beforehand or baking it with some sugar. If you want more vanilla flavor in the batter (and vanilla is delicious with cherries), steep a vanilla bean in the milk ahead of time.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to Clafouti aux Cerises – Cherry Clafouti"

• Eileen says:

One of my favorite desserts and this one looks delicious!

Eileen (passions to pastry)

• Connie says:

Warm clafouti with crème fraîche sounds divine. That’s interesting about leaving the cherries unpitted for that extra flavor, I’d never heard of that before, maybe will try that someday.

• This post made me realize I’ve never truly had clafouti — only flognarde! I’m going to have to fix that very soon. Can’t wait to try your recipe…

Connie: Make sure you don’t have any litigious friends before serving that unpitted cherry clafouti.

Cheryl: I have never actually seen it called Flognarde, even when it has other fruits.

• Heather says:

I, too, wish I could take the credit for this recipe, but it was passed along to me by Jonathan Waxman.

• Deb says:

I made this with a couple of changes that saved me a trip to the store. I used thick Mexican crema instead of creme fraiche and freshly picked blueberries. Also added a half teaspoon of almond extract. You do indeed have the best recipe for clafouti. Thank you so much.

Deb: I’m happy to hear that my crème fraiche obsession didn’t prevent you from making this clafouti. I only wish it were my own invention!

• [...] Visit David Lebovitz’s site.  Buy Ready for Dessert on Amazon.  Still have cherries to use?  Try my clafoutis. [...]

• La Rêveuse says:

Made this today, thank you for the recipe! Just to let you know, I had sour cherries (fresh, local) and they probably could use a tiny bit more sugar. It is tasty, but needs just a little bit more sweetness to counteract their tart, earthy taste. I didn’t have crème fraîche, but my homemade whole milk yogurt (extra thick) did the trick nicely. The texture is excellent.

Merci mille fois!