Pierre Hermé – Croissant Ispahan

September 2nd, 2009 § 7 comments

Confession: I bought this Croissant Ispahan at Pierre Hermé this morning because I thought it was pretty.

Ispahan is a city in Iran. It’s also the name Pierre Hermé has given to a combination of flavors, a theme of rose, raspberry, and litchi on which several variations are based. There is the original, signature Ispahan, two large rose-flavored discs filled with rose cream, whole raspberries, and litchi, as well as an Ispahan macaron, a millefeuille, an ice cream, a sorbet, and a range of pâte de fruits.

The croissant is filled with rosy almond paste and a jammy raspberry and litchi compote. I was wary. Too much rose can taste soapy (always a risk with floral flavors). But it actually worked well with the raspberry and litchi, two fruits with plenty of their own perfume.

In other words, it was much more than just a pretty face.

Pierre Hermé 72 Rue Bonaparte, 75006 Paris, +33 (0)1 43 54 47 77

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 7 Responses to Pierre Hermé – Croissant Ispahan"

• Jennifer K says:

Hi Barbra, once I wrote about the Ispahan tart, but I haven’t tried the croissant yet — you’ve inspired me!

• Lukas Stancik says:

Hi, I believe the name of the city in Iran is “Isphahan”… Looks yummy though :)

Jennifer: I think the croissant begs for a cup of strong tea…
    Lukas: This seems to be an issue of transliteration, which is always sticky, and there are several spellings in the Roman alphabet…Ispahan is one of them.

• tamra says:

went to Piere Herme this morning, and they didn’t have that croissant..just plain ones! So very disappointed. Does one have to phone in? Is it a special occasion production?

• cathy says:

confession? for me, that’s a normal perfectly normal reason to buy a pastry :) ! thanks for sharing

Tamra: Quel dommage. I don’t think it’s a special occasion thing but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to call beforehand.

Cathy: There are certainly worse reasons!

• Ted Niceley says:

I had one recently, the Ispahan crossaint and it was the most beautiful thing!