Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Tartlets

March 15th, 2010 § 9 comments

Though I generally prefer dark chocolate, there’s no denying that milk chocolate pairs very well with certain flavors. Peanut butter and bananas, for example.

The recipe here is for a ganache filling to which peanut butter has been added, which results in something not so far from a Reese’s cup, at least in flavor. I think it’s best used for individual tart shells rather than a 9″ or 10″ pan, partly because it’s pretty rich but mainly because slicing the thing would be a nightmare; the ganache thickens as it cools to room temperature but remains a little loose, almost like pudding.

I tried using caramelized bananas in the tart but found that I preferred thinly sliced raw bananas.  Banana haters can forgo the fruit altogether. I definitely recommend a little whipped cream on top, preferably unsweetened. If I were going to make a more formal dessert out of these tartlets I would add caramel sauce and some chopped toasted peanuts or (better yet) some crushed peanut brittle.

For the crust, I used my usual pâte brisée, but you can use whatever pastry you like. The ganache can be made days in advance and stored in the fridge (or frozen for the long term) but you’ll need to bring it up to a warm room temp before filling the shells.

Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Filling

1 1/2 c (360 ml) heavy cream

8 oz (225 g) milk chocolate

1 3/4 oz (50 g) oz dark chocolate

4 oz (112 g) smooth peanut butter

a few drops vanilla extract

1. Chop the chocolates into pieces no bigger than 1/2″ and put in a bowl.

2. In a small saucepan, heat the cream until it is steaming hot and just about to boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate, give the bowl a little shake so that the cream settles around all of the bits of chocolate and let it sit for a minute, then use a whisk to stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted and you have a homogeneous mixture (it may seem thin but will thicken, I promise).

3. Whisk the peanut butter into the warm ganache and add the vanilla. Let the filling cool until it’s thick and silky, but still easily spoonable.

To make banana tartlets, place a thin layer of sliced ripe banana in the bottom of each tart shell and top with the ganache. Serve with unsweetened whipped cream.

Yields enough filling for at least a dozen 3″ tartlets.

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Tartlets"

• Janine says:

I want to make this for Quinn’s bridal shower! Esp since you noted the way this works sans bananes, b/c she is one of those haters :)

Where do I find yr pate brise recipe?

Again, as always, this is an awesome blog. You rock!
    Love
    Janine

• Lindsey says:

looks divine! this is definitely the next treat I’m making!

Janine, I can send you my recipe if you’d like.

Lindsey, let me know how it turns out!

• yesterday i saw this as i was deciding what to make for lunch. it seemed perfect. but now i realize it is an even better fit right now for breakfast. bananas are a healthy breakfast food, right ?

i love your posts and your recipes and your taste buds ! ;) so you must agree with me then as i said to you, “one can never have too much ganache” – and especially if it’s peanut butter gananche ! mmmm.

• Lindsey says:

I’m going to make these this weekend! I bought dough (I know, I should’ve just made it myself) so that should be cooked a bit in the oven before the ganache is poured in, yes? Seems like a silly question but just want to make sure I do it right!

At what temperature and how long would you recommend baking the shells first?

Lindsey – I see from your blog that you gave it a go. I blind bake shells at 375° for several minutes and then turn the oven down to 350° (fahrenheit, obvs). The blast of heat helps them retain their shape.

• Lindsey says:

thanks for the tip!!

• Sharon T says:

Hi Barbra, I’m fairly new to your blog and really like it. I made this tart with a couple of changes and it was delicious. I cut back on the cream to make the ganache thicker and made it as one large tart. Served it with caramel sauce and bruleed banana slices. Absolutely delicious!

Sharon – This tart is delicious with caramel; good thinking! I like the looser ganache with tartlets, but I imagine the thicker ganache made a large tart easier to portion. Glad you liked it.