Berthillon (version hivernale)

December 15th, 2010 § 12 comments

For those of you love ice cream as much as I do but are disheartened by the cold, I’ve found a solution.

I’ve never actually sat down in the salon de thé at Berthillon; I’m usually drawn there in warmer weather for a boule (or, more likely, two) of their legendary ice creams and sorbets. But the other day, while walking around Notre Dame with a visiting friend, hot chocolate came up in conversation. And then it was impossible to think of anything else. We weren’t far from Berthillon. Surely they would serve a decent chocolat chaud.

Actually they do one better: An affogato au chocolat. It’s a scoop of any flavor of ice cream, served with a tiny pitcher of the hot chocolate base (more cocoa-y than chocolaty), another pitcher of hot steamed milk, and heap of chantilly, laced with more chocolate and bits of praline.

I started with just a little of the chocolate so that the ice cream wouldn’t all melt immediately.  As you like. It all turns into a richer than rich soup after a little while, which is not a complaint.

Berthillon 29 rue St. Louis en l’Ile, Paris 75004, +33 (0)1 43 54 31 61

Tagged , , , , , , ,

§ 12 Responses to Berthillon (version hivernale)"

• david says:

Actually their tarte Tatin is very good too. Their tea salon doesn’t get the press some of the other places get, but what could be better than a nice piece of cake or dessert with a scoop of Berthillon?

• Stephen says:

“For those of you love ice cream as much as I do but are disheartened by the cold”

They should visit Moscow in winter. Winston Chuchill was being driven through Moscow (Russia not Washington) during WW2 in the middle of winter in a thick snowstorm when he saw some Muscovites queuing outside an ice cream shop. It’s just a shame Adolf Hitler hadn’t seen it as well…….

• june2 says:

Just curious, how much does that cost? At a U.S. cafe, it would probably be something like $10, at least.

• Lindaraxa says:

OMG! now its me who has to have one of those in spite of the fact I just finished a chocolate souffle (it’s my B’day!) I’ll have to keep it in mind for the next trip!

David – It’s funny that it doesn’t get more attention, considering the location and that it’s, you know, Berthillon.

Stephen – It’s snowing in Paris today but I doubt you’ll see anyone queuing anywhere for anything. Wimps.

June – The affogato au chocolat goes for 7.50€, which is close to $10 at the current exchange rate.

Lindaraxa – It’s your birthday; you can eat whatever you want.

• Stephanie says:

So very Parisian! A lot of pomp and circumstance for a simple hot drink. I would prefer a nice thick hot chocolate ‘à la ancienne’ in an earthenware mug.

• ARTHUR NORMAN KATSER says:

JUST FOUND YOUR FEED GLAD I DID
    ARI

• magillicuddy says:

OMG — I’ve lived here for 20 years and never knew this ! Something to add to my to do list ! Merci !

• Sharon T says:

That looks absolutely wonderful on a chilly day! Leave it to Berthillon to elevate hot chocolate. I love that it is ‘build it yourself’ so to speak. I am new to your blog, thanks for the post!

• Teresa says:

My arteries just slammed shut, but what a way to go. Lovely blog, by the way.

Stephanie – I like the pomp, at least sometimes. I mean, if life isn’t served up on a silver platter, at least the hot chocolate can be.

Sharon – The “kit” is definitely part of the fun.

Teresa – I tolerate rich foods pretty well, but I felt this one.

Magillicuddy – What are you waiting for?

Ari – Thanks!

• Karly says:

I still have fantasies about the chocolat chaud at Laduree. I have a friend who, when he describes the experience, I swear is having an orgasm at the thought, even in public, its like “When Harry Met Sally.”