Le Bal Café, again (and again and again)

April 18th, 2011 § 8 comments

I have been to Le Bal two of the last three three of the last four Sundays. It’s a problem.

The coffee is fantastic, the scones perfect. I could stop there, really, and go home happy.

Or I could stay and order the kedgeree, a dish of curried rice with smoked haddock, topped with an egg. Or the bacon and eggs, a trusty standby. The pancakes are tender and fluffy, if a bit plain jane. They’d be good paired with the fromage blanc and rhubarb compote that was on the menu (there’s always next Sunday). The green bean salad is a good choice, tossed with red onion confit, vinaigrette, and topped with eggs, their sunny orange yolks barely set.

For dessert last weekend we had a lemon posset, a sort of eggless custard, with big piece of tender shortbread that crumbled wonderfully, and frustratingly; these crumbs are too good to waste.

I’d never heard of posset before. The dessert as it’s now known evolved from what was, historically, a drink of milk curdled with ale, often used for medicinal purposes (or, if you’re Lady Macbeth, mixed with poison for less benign ends). This modern form contains only cream, lemon juice, and sugar, a sort of eggless custard — though technically a cheese, I suppose — and appears to be the world’s easiest dessert to make. At Le Bal they add plenty of vanilla bean seeds, too.

They open at 10 for coffee and scones. Brunch service starts at 11:30. My advice? Go early. The airy calm starts deteriorating around noon.

Le Bal Café 6 impasse de la Défense, Paris 75018, +33 (0)1 44 70 75 51. Weds-Sat 10 am – 11 pm, Sun 10 am – 7 pm.

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

§ 8 Responses to Le Bal Café, again (and again and again)"

• Elizabeth says:

This looks delicious. We’ll be in Paris in June, so hope to get there for Sunday brunch.

• Brigit says:

Yum! I need to add posset to my list of things to try.

• Camille says:

Those eggs look like perfection. But what I want to know is: is it worth visiting for any other meal?

Elizabeth – I’ll join you.

Brigit – I am definitely going to try it. It seems very easy (famous last words).

Camille – The lunch and dinner menus look pretty darn good, but I still haven’t made it in for anything but brunch. Shall we give it a try?

• Melissa says:

Perhaps it may not be that hard of a task to convince you to give brunch one more go with me tagging along? It looks delicious and I am definitely missing some place to get my Sunday morning fix in Paris…

• [...] been wanting to attempt this dessert since having it at Le Bal Café a few weeks ago, and Friday’s nuptials seemed like a good occasion to try a bit of British [...]

• Deborah says:

I really have to go and try it!!
    That looks too good!
    Too bad they’re close on monday AND tuesday!

• Paris Bobo says:

And such a great little terrace to enjoy your coffee in!